I’ve been using an e-reader for about 4 years, and now I really love the convenience of it. As a tried and true lover of books, at first I thought I’d miss the smell and feel of a real book in my hands, and while that’s true to an extent, you really just can’t beat the convenience of having a whole library on one single device. No more trying to decide which books to leave at home when you’re packing for a trip. You can bring them all with you! I also really love the instantaneous aspect of it. As soon as I finish a book, I can start reading my next one within seconds if I want. Consider me a total e-book convert. I do still like spending hours in actual bookstores – I just browse the shelves and keep a list on my phone of new titles to read.
One other part of e-reading that I love is the ease of highlighting (and un-highlighting, if needed) passages as I’m reading. Plus, because I’m nosy, I love being able to see lines that are most often highlighted by other readers. Over the years, I’ve highlighted some stuff, but I never knew how to access those passages (embarrassing, I know). Earlier this week, I finally figured it out: they’re all located at kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights. Oh hey, how easy is that? As I was looking through them, I decided, “hey, this would make a fun blog post”, and here we are.
I would LOVE for you to do a similar post to see what you’ve highlighted. If you do, please leave it in the comments for me to check out!
10 Quotes I’ve Highlighted on my Kindle:
1. “Like dust on a bottle of vanilla.” – One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories, B.J. Novak
2. “It’s a love-hate relationship. I love the feeling after I’ve finished writing something. But the actual writing? Sometimes not so much.” – The One & Only, Emily Giffin
3. “That twenty-four-hour-a-day enthusiasm for the activity of children wasn’t in her.” – The Comfort of Lies, Randy Susan Meyers
4. “It started out as I’m sure most office flirtations do, with the simple discovery of someone who helps the day go by quicker.” – Not A Match: My True Tales of Online Dating Disasters, Brian Donovan
(This one reminded me so much of when TJ and I started dating)
5. “Children frighten me. I mean, I appreciate them on a cute aesthetic level, but they’re very demanding and unreasonable creatures and often smell funny.” – Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
6. “Life changed dramatically, and we changed along with it. But that’s always the secret to a long marriage, isn’t it? It’s not really one marriage but several. People change, events change them, and their life as a couple evolves. To stay together and thrive, one has to make space for those changes, including both sun and shadow.” – The Moment: Wild, Poignant, Life-Changing Stories from 125 Writers and Artists Famous & Obscure, edited by Larry Smith
7. “There’s nothing you can do to plan for the coincidences and contingencies that will come your way, and they’re likely to be more important than whatever else you think is important at the time.” – The Moment: Wild, Poignant, Life-Changing Stories from 125 Writers and Artists Famous & Obscure, edited by Larry Smith
8. “One minute doesn’t erase a thousand.” – Hidden, Catherine McKenzie
9. “Apparently, money can’t buy happiness, or it does, but it costs less than you imagined it would.” – Hidden, Catherine McKenzie
10. “He did two things for me every single day of our marriage: he made me laugh, and he was my friend.” – Beautiful Day, Elin Hilderbrand
(Again, this one reminds me of TJ)
How do you feel about e-books vs paper books? What are some of your favorite quotes from books? Share them, please!